VIDEO: Explosive Leg Press & Pistol Squat Hops
EXPLOSIVE LEG PRESS & PISTOL SQUAT PLYO HOP BURNOUT
Here are two moves for you to (carefully) try. I perform an advance version, but you can adjust the height and weight in order to challenge yourself at your own level the next time you're at the gym.
-- SINGLE-LEG EXPLOSIVE LEG PRESS --
This is no ordinary leg press! It's tricky to select the correct weight for this, so my advice is to go light at first. Safety first! I only have 90lbs total, plus the machine. This was the end of my leg session, so depending on where in my routine it comes would depend on how much I can push. However, light is better to start.
1. Slowly lower the machine down then - while keeping the other leg elevated - explode the plate forward. Really extending through your toes to engage your calf.
2. Keep the leg engaged and catch the plate with a soft knee and absorb some of the impact.
3. Once under control, return to starting position and repeat.
REPS: 1 set of 10 reps on each leg and then move to the Pistol Squats Hop Burnout.
-- PISTOL SQUAT PLYO HOP BURNOUT --
This is great for isolating glutes and hamstrings. Which ever was the FIRST leg to work the Leg Press is the first leg to perform the Pistol Squat Hop.
1. Start with mastering the squat itself, focusing on balance and achieving good depth. Once there you can add in the plyo.
2. Take the squat down to knee height... balance... then explode - in one fluid motion - into the hop, landing on the box